Sunday, October 22, 2006

Little Sister Don't Ya

Saturday was a Little Sister Day. I picked her up at 1:00, and she handed me the latest in her series of drawings of the two of us. I think it's so fantastic that she draws me pictures. I can tell that this is her way of attempting to keep things even in our relationship. She's aware that I spend money on her, and I think she draws me pictures to "contribute." It's a great trade. This one was actually folded into a little book, with several drawings of the two of us, and on the last page, it says "The In" and (heart) you. I heart her, too. What could possibly be more precious than a very smart (if a little homonym-challenged) and sweet six-year-old girl?

We went to a kids' science museum, which pleased me immensely. I love that stuff, and I'm so glad to have an excuse to run around like a... well... six-year-old, stomping on the giant piano, swinging from ropes, and climbing up a giant vertebrae ladder. Renee had fun, too. She made friends with a tiny and beautiful Asian girl, and I felt like a crazy PR ad when the three of us were laughing like idiots, trying to navigate the small intestine maze. Good times.

On our way home, we went by Target. Her mom had mentioned that they have a hard time finding shoes for Renee, because most of their clothes come from others. A sweatshirt is one thing, but little girl shoes that fit are entirely another. Anyway, I told a small fib about having won a gift certificate from Target and asking if it was OK if I used it on Renee. Mom was fine with this.

Renee was mystified by all the trying on, and was quick to say that any and every shoe fit, even if it was clearly 3 sizes too big. We picked out some white tennis shoes (with rhinestones!) and some black church shoes. I strong-armed her into getting some tights, too, though she seemed either reluctant to push it, or totally unfamiliar with the shopping, "can I have this, too" routine that seems like second nature to so many kids. I got the total at the register and realized it was probably the least amount of money I'd spent at Target, ever, even when I just go in for things like shampoo. $30. $30 for two pairs of shoes that fit this child, and realistically will carry her through the majority of her activities -- school, playing, and church. It sort of puts things in perspective. I wish I could do stuff like that for her all the time, but I know it's a bad idea. (I have a sort of recurring fantasy wherein I take her to Toys R Us and turn her loose.)

Anyway, if she's learning things from me, it's not nearly as much as I'm learning from her. If you're not a Big, you should be.

No comments: